You won’t believe that this Campfire Chocolate cake was made over a fire. It is rich, moist, and delicious. Enjoying a piece of this delicious cake around a campfire while enjoying the great outdoors is a wonderful experience.
There is nothing better than enjoying a delicious cake around a campfire while telling stories and being surrounded by nature. This delicious Campfire Chocolate cake is perfect for an evening spent camping.
Then, finish your meal with the Campfire Chocolate cake. This campfire chocolate cake will impress everyone. Your friends will ask you how to make it.
You’ll need to use a grate to cook the cake because temperatures can vary greatly from one campfire or another. Remember that anything you cook over an open fire will be very hot when removed, so take care. Don’t forget about these Best s’mores recipes while you’re out camping!
CAMPFIRE CAKE INGREDIENTS
- Flour (plus 2-3 tablespoons to coat the skillet)
- Cocoa Powder – Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking powder
- Whole milk
- Butter, salted sweet cream butter
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips – semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Light brown sugar
- Hot water
- Vegetable Shortening – to coat the skillet
You’ll need to coat your skillet heavily with shortening before baking this Campfire Chocolate Cake. It will be difficult to remove the cake from the pan without first coating it with shortening.
Do you want to spice it up a bit? You can add your favorite nuts or whipped cream to the top. Even sprinkle some Powdered Sugar over the top! Don’t forget those extras on your trip!
Don’t you like the outdoors? Don’t worry! This Campfire Chocolate cake can be made at home too! Follow the recipe, and bake at 350degF in your oven for 45 minutes.
FIRST STEP You’ll need to let the campfire burn down until it’s nice bed coal. I suggest a grate to provide a stable cooking surface.
SECOND STEP: Coat a 10- to 12-inch cast iron skillet with vegetable shortening. Set aside 2-3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and dust it with that.
THIRD STEP: In an 8-quart mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose powder, 1/4 cup cocoa, sugar, and baking soda.
FOURTH STEP: In the smaller bowl, whisk together milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
FIFTH STEP: Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
SIXTH STEP: Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the batter.
SECOND STEP: In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar with the 1/4 cup cocoa powder remaining. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the chocolate chips.
EIGHTH STEP: Pour the hot water carefully over the brown sugar mixture.
NINTH STEP: Place skillet on top of the grate over hot coals. Allow the cake to bake uncovered for about 55-60 minutes until it has a pudding-like bottom and a drier top. Pour on the caramel sundae. Serve immediately.
Can I bake this cake at my home?
This cake is easy to make at home. Follow the recipe and bake at 350degF in your oven for 45 minutes.
Can I make a cake mix in advance?
You can save time by preparing the recipe until step 5 and then storing it in an airtight jar until you are ready to cook on an open flame.
CAMPFIRE CAKE CHOCOLATE CAKE STORAGE
IN A FRIDGE: Campfire Chocolate Cake can be stored in an airtight container for up to a day in the fridge or cooler.
IN A FREEZER: You can freeze this Campfire Chocolate Cake in an airtight container for up to two months if you have a freezer or make it at home.
You can also read about Recommended Products.
Campfire Chocolate Cake
Author: Shauna This rich and moist Campfire Chocolate cake is perfect for your next camping adventure. You won’t believe that it was made over a campfire. Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 55 minutes Total Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes minutes servings 6 – 1/2 Print Recipe Pin Recipe Recipe Review Cook Mode How to prevent your screen from going black
- Use 1 cup of all-purpose flour and 2-3 tablespoons to coat the skillet
- Divide 1/2 cup of cocoa powder unsweetened
- 3/4 cup of Granulated Sugar
- Two teaspoons of baking powder
- Half a cup of whole milk
- Melted two tablespoons of salted sweet cream butter
- Vanilla extract two teaspoons
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of light brown sugar packaged
- 1 3/4 cups of hot water
- Vegetable shortening to coat the skillet
- The campfire should be allowed to burn to a bed of coals. I suggest putting a grate on top of the coals for a stable cooking surface.
- Cover a 10- to 12-inch cast iron skillet heavily with vegetable shortening. Set aside 2-3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and dust it with that.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose powder, 1/4 cup of cocoa powder, and baking powder.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the vanilla extract, melted butter, and milk.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until they are well combined.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the batter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup cocoa powder and brown sugar. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the chocolate chips evenly.
- Pour the hot water carefully over the brown sugar mixture.
- Place the skillet over the coals. Allow the cake to cook for 55-60 mins, uncovered. The cake should have a pudding-like bottom and a dry top. Pour on the caramel sundae. Serve immediately.