As the temperatures rise and the sun beats down, it’s essential to pay attention to what we eat and drink to keep our energy levels high during the scorching summer months. Embracing a summer-friendly diet that includes traditional Indian foods and beverages can not only help beat the heat but also provide a natural boost of energy. Let’s explore some desi delights that can keep you refreshed and energized throughout the season.
- Cooling Cucumbers: Cucumbers are a quintessential summer vegetable with high water content. They help in staying hydrated and are low in calories, making them an excellent snack option. You can enjoy them in salads, raita, or sliced with a sprinkle of chaat masala for a refreshing twist.
- Refreshing Mint: Mint, or pudina, is known for its cooling properties. It aids digestion and can be used in various forms – from adding it to drinks like mint lemonade to incorporating it into chutneys and raitas. A glass of mint-infused buttermilk (chaos) is not only delicious but also a great way to stay cool.
- Hydrating Coconut Water: Nature’s sports drink, coconut water, is rich in electrolytes and helps combat dehydration. It’s a perfect alternative to sugary beverages and provides a natural energy boost. Include coconut water in your daily routine to stay hydrated and refreshed.
- Sattu: Sattu, a traditional flour made from roasted gram, is a powerhouse of nutrients. It’s a common ingredient in North Indian cuisine and can be consumed in various forms, such as sattu drinks or parathas. Packed with protein and fiber, sattu keeps you feeling full and energized.
- Lemon Delights: Lemons are a summer staple that can be used in multiple ways. A glass of nimbu pani (lemonade) with a pinch of black salt is not only a classic summer beverage, but also an excellent source of Vitamin C. Additionally, the tangy flavor adds a zing to various dishes and salads.
- Water-Rich Melons: Melons like watermelon and muskmelon are hydrating fruits with a high water content. Enjoying a bowl of chilled melon cubes can be a delicious and nutritious way to stay cool while providing your body with essential vitamins and minerals.
- Light and Nutrient-Rich Dals: Opt for lighter dals such as moong dal during the summer months. These days, they are easy to digest and provide a good source of protein. Prepare dishes like moong dal khichdi or include moong dal in salads for a nutritious and energy-boosting meal.
- Spicy Green Chillies: Surprisingly, spicy foods can help in cooling the body by inducing sweating. Green chilies, commonly used in Indian cuisine, contain capsaicin, which boosts metabolism and increases energy levels. Add them to curries and chutneys, or even sprinkle some on salads for a flavorful kick.
Staying energized during the summer doesn’t have to involve artificial energy drinks or unhealthy snacks. Embracing a diet rich in desi foods and beverages not only keeps you cool but also provides your body with the essential nutrients it needs. From hydrating coconut water to nutrient-packed sattu, these traditional delights will help you sail through the summer with vitality and enthusiasm. So, make the most of the season by incorporating these delicious and nutritious options into your daily summer diet.