This zesty and delicious lemon cake is a perfect anytime cake.
3 hours 30 minutes
The lemon-infused pound cake features an incredibly moist and tender crumb, with a golden-domed crunch crust. It’s then decorated with a lemon glaze that adds a hint of sweetness. A variety of ingredients from your pantry come together to make this cake infused with citrus that’s perfect for breakfast and tea, dessert or even as an appetizer.
Be sure to beating the butter till it becomes fluffy is vital in the texture of the cake. It may appear cracked when you add your liquid. However, it’s acceptable – just keep beating. This cake was tested in the loaf pan, but you could consider using a bundt cake mold to create an entirely different appearance. It’s also possible to change the flavor also. This recipe uses regular lemon juice. Feel free to experiment with different citrus, such as orange Meyer lime, lemon or calamansi.
- Baking spraywith flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (about 6 3/8 ounces) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest, plus 8 to 9 tablespoons fresh juice, divided (from 3 medium lemons)
- 2 cups (about 8 ounces) powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 325°F. Cover a 9-x 5 inch loaf pan using baking spray. Line the loaf pan with parchment then spray the pan with baking spray.
- Mix granulated sugar and butter using a stand mixer equipped by a paddle. Beat on medium-high speed until extremely fluffy, about 5 to 6 minutes. Stop to scrape bowl’s sides. Add eggs, one at one time, and beat at medium speed after each addition.
- Mix together the flour as well as salt as well as baking powder. Gradually add flour mixture the butter mixture using an electric mixer at a low speed. Add dairy and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Begin and concluding with the flour mixture, and beating until the mixture is combined following each addition. Stir in 1 tablespoon lemon zest. Beat at high speed until the batter is fluffy about one minute. Scoop batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about an hour or until wooden skewer placed in the center of the cake is clean, which is about one hour and 5 minutes. Remove cake from oven and let sit at room temperature for 10 mins. Take cake out of loaf pan and allow to the cake cool to room temperature on a rack for approximately 2 hours.
- Put the powdered sugar, along with the remaining lemon zest of 1 tablespoon in the bowl of a medium. Mix in the the remaining 4 to 5 tablespoons lemon juice, if needed, to achieve desired consistency until it is smooth. Sprinkle over cake once it has cooled.