Owls are such a fun and whimsical way to welcome fall in. If you were to head to the store and wish to purchase a decorative owl, you could find yourself spending $10 and up for a cute piece. Instead, save your cash and create your own feathered friend from materials you already have around the house. If you have a toilet paper roll, you can easily whip up your own re-purposed toilet paper roll owl. Take a look below and see how simple and inexpensive it is to not only create one, but have a “hoot” of a time doing so. This is a simple craft that you don’t need to be a crafting queen to do, in fact even the kids will love getting in on the action. Take a peek!
[box title="Re-purposed Toilet Paper Roll Owl" color="#d72509"]
1 empty toilet paper roll
1. Lay your empty toilet paper roll on the construction paper. Make a small pencil mark at each end of the roll.
2. Take your scissors and cut the strip of construction paper so the strip is the width of the toilet paper roll.
3. Put some craft glue on the toilet paper roll and wrap the strip of construction paper around it. Press it firmly to the roll and allow it to dry.
4. Now, you are going to create the owl shape out of your toilet paper roll. To do this, choose one end of the roll to work with. Take your thumbs and press one side of the roll (just about ½ an inch at the top) inward.
5. Keep holding this section down and repeat on the opposite side. You will feel how a curve is created.
6. Add a dab of glue underneath the second flap you have created. Press firmly into place and allow time to dry.
7. While your ears of your owl are drying, make your wings and other facial features. A circle cut in half makes the perfect wings, two circles make great eyes, and a triangle works for the nose. You should use contrasting paper colors or prints so these features stand out. You can even take a strip of paper and line it around the bottom of the owl for extra detail.
See how easy it is to make these whimsical owls? Give this simple DIY a try and have a hoot of a time!